Coming into the home stretch for summer which means local steak competitions such as Grill Your Steak Off, backyard cookouts and a 3 day weekend on the horizon. Let’s get the most out of the season with these upcoming events!
Grill Your Steak Off 2019
This year Williams Ace Hardware is changing things up with Grill Your Ace Off and combining it with the Steak Off! This amazing event donates all proceeds, has raised over $19K for Children’s Hospital and need your help to make this the biggest donation year ever!
YOU HAVE ONE WEEK LEFT TO REGISTER. What? You haven’t registered? Stop slacking and get on it. As of posting time, there are 28 contestants taking a shot at the $1000 top prize plus a Golden Ticket to the SCA World Championship at Ft. Worth, TX in October. If you’d like the best job of all – eating the steaks – sign up to become a certified judge the night before!
What you need for your first SCA competition
Since the biggest SCA event in the area is happening next weekend I’m finishing up a checklist for early next week on what you need for your first event. It will be based on my experience and anything you want to add make sure you leave it in the comments there.
Breaking BBQ news on The BBQ Central Show
The best barbecue non-podcast podcast had 2 exclusives that if you haven’t subscribed after reading this I don’t know we can be friends.
- Last Thursday BBQ fans were treated to an exclusive event as not only did KCBS announced their new CEO LIVE on the show but new-CEO Emily Detwiler joined the show for her first interview. I’m a fan of the move because she has done amazing work at Smithfield and KCBS is seriously hurting for new ideas. You can catch the interview here.
- The second hour of this week’s show had Emily Park talking about the American Royal coming up next month in KC, what to expect as a fan and as a contestant, and a pretty sweet surprise (more than no late fees) if you register so make sure you subscribe and download the latest show to get the discount and package!
Pig Out in the Park
The 2nd Annual Pig Out in the Park: Backyard BBQ Bash will be held this Saturday from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Hoffman Hollow Park, located at 11200 Hoffman Hollow Road in Frostburg, MD. Join them for a fun-filled day of live music, a beer tent, a pie-eating contest, kid zone and family-friendly activities, local artist and food vendors, and a backyard BBQ competition!
In addition to the heat of the competition, Pig Out in the Park will feature mechanical bull riding, a chainsaw carving demonstration, and food and artisan vendors from the Frostburg area. Bands will be playing live music all day, including Savage Road and Day-Old News.
All proceeds from Pig Out in the Park benefit the non-profit organization FrostburgFirst: a Maryland Main Street Community, Inc., and efforts towards downtown revitalization, promoting small business, engaging the community, and making Frostburg a beautiful and thriving city to live, work, and visit
For more information visit www.pigoutfrostburg.com
- 8/17 – Pig Out in the Park (Frostburg, MD)
- 8/23 – SCA Judge Class at Grill Your Steak Off (Williams Ace Hardware, West Newton, PA)
- 8/24 – Grill Your Steak Off (SCA National Qualifier – West Newton, PA)
- 8/29 to 9/2 – Heinz Field Rib Fest (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 8/31 – Route 6 Ribfest Steak Cookoff (SCA National Qualifier – Coudersport, PA)
- 8/31 to 9/1 – Route Six Ribfest (Coudersport, PA)
All of these events can be found on the Events Page plus you can subscribe to our Google Calendar and 2019 Yinz Love BBQ Festival, Competition and Steak Cook-off Schedule to plan out your next BBQ road trip!