When the temperature stays above 50F or your forecast never contains the word “snow” you may find it comical there are people who have a “barbecue season”. Personally, I have the fire burning all year long but the majority of residents here in the mid-Atlantic states circle the first of May as the day to clean out the grill or smoker and embrace warmer weather.
This will be a great year for barbecue in the Pittsburgh area! I have an expanded events page with a new Google Map and gCalendar you can subscribe to that will keep you barbecue busy throughout the summer. The Western PA BBQ Directory has new additions and the potential for 40+ joints to get your carnivore fix!
Here are a few events to check out this month
- 5/5 – BBQ in The Valley (Jamestown, NY)
- 5/5 – Neighborhood BBQ Fest at Williams Ace Hardware (West Newton, PA)
- 5/5 to 5/6 – Smokestack BBQ Opening Weekend (West Newton, PA)
- 5/18 to 20 – Clarion BBQ Festival (Clarion, PA)
- 5/27 to 5/28 – Kennywood Ribs & Blues Fesitval (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 5/30 to 6/2 – Erie Wild Rib Cook Off and Music Festival (Erie, PA)
I have sauce and rub reviews coming up this month along with the overdue recap of my new Pit Barrel Smoker which feels like I’m cooking on a new level. I’ve heard from several of you over the winter with suggestions on places to check out and products you want to be reviewed. I’ve been working on cleaning out the sauce cabinet and I try to make this site SWPA centric but thanks to the internet there isn’t a sauce, rub or injection that’s off limits.
Barbecue is exploding in the Greater Pittsburgh area and I hope we get to share a few meals together. I’m obsessed with BBQ on Instagram so make sure you’re following on there, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Raise a rib bone and let’s get eating!